Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wednesday's Woes

Today is another one of those (wink, wink) busy days. I'm at school in presence only.
I finally figured out that the intimidating people walking around in suits for the past two weeks, are student teachers. I think that they looked imposing, because they were just scared to be here. Now they are beginning to relax. They are also starting on their student teaching in our school this week. The student teachers of English may or may not use me. So I'm pretty much on call today. Yesterday and tomorrow are elementary visits for me.
Yeah, about that. I've figured out (at least in this area of Japan) that something happens between the 5th and 6th grades. I understand why grades 6-8 were considered middle school for so long. I think that it's a great idea actually. Anyway, without getting into too many details, my last class yesterday was with 6th graders. The first class of 6th graders that I taught yesterday were pretty good. There were a few kids who were "too cool" for English class, but that's to be expected. My last class though, was a nightmare. I was heckled, mocked, and treated horribly. The teacher either ignored or was oblivious to what was happening most of the time. A few times, she intervened. I don't think that she realized how much I understood of what the kids were saying. I was so happy that I didn't have my regular class last night, because I seriously needed some time to myself after that.
On the bright side, I saw 8 of my former students while on my way to the elementary school yesterday. That was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. They were on the tennis team and going to a match. They were on bikes with their helmets and school uniforms (it was cute). I should note that very few people wear helmets here, but during school hours and activities, they are required to.
Also, last night I went to the neighborhood grocery store. I saw another former student. She is now in high school. Her name is Aya and she always called me "midori" because my eyes are green. She would go around asking all of the teachers about their eye colors and would then say that there was only one teacher who had green eyes. She would then pose dramatically and then say "Hollie-sensei". She always made me laugh. We talked for several minutes yesterday, so that made me really happy. ^_^ It also reminded me that there are plenty of students that I've been able to make small connections with and who are just as happy to see me as I am to see them.
So overall, I still love my students...most of them anyways.

No comments: