Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Typhoon

The weather has been really crazy lately. This week, we have had forecasts like: rain followed by showers, or partly cloudy, possibly sunny, etc...
Yesterday's forecast said showers, but it was sunny and hot. This morning, I was sure it would be sunny and warm. It was almost 80 degrees when I left for work this morning. There were scattered clouds, but the clouds did not look like rain clouds. I have heard rumors all week of a typhoon, so I have been taking my umbrella with me everyday. Well, about 30 minutes ago, the temperature quickly dropped and now it's raining. The wind hasn't picked up yet. It's only 11:00, so I'm guessing that by the time I'm supposed to go home at 4:00, it will be pouring.
I'm so happy that I brought my umbrella today.
As with many other things in this country, the weather is not always what it appears to be. I have learned that it's impossible to take anything at face value here. There are moments of brutal honesty (that are deemed acceptable), but mostly, people here don't say what they feel or think. It's very confusing. My head is always swimming.
On a kind of related topic, I have been wondering why all of the big sporting events for the schools are planned during typhoon seasons. It hasn't failed (since I've been here) that the events get postponed because of the weather. I don't get it.

No comments: