Thursday, June 19, 2008

Roaches

I guess it was only a matter of time (insert big sigh here).
The weather has become hot and humid. It is the perfect time and place for cockroaches. Unfortunately, two cockroaches chose a not-so-perfect place last night. They chose my apartment. For those of you who know me, you know how much I hate cockroaches and mice.
So last night, when I opened the sliding door of my bedroom and caught sight of a 4-inch cockroach next to my toothbrush above the sink, I was less than thrilled. Since I don't like to hear the crunch of big bugs when they are squished and since I sometimes miss, I decided to spray poison on the roach. I grabbed the first thing that was handy...the bathroom cleaner (with bleach!). I moved in a little closer and sprayed the roach. I made sure to spray a lot, but he ran away so fast, I didn't see where he went. It was late and I wanted piece of mind. I did not want to imagine that he was lurking in my kitchen somewhere while I was trying to sleep.
I cautiously moved my garbage, but didn't see him. I knew that I would have to move the little table I have near the sink. That is when I discovered there were two of them! I sprayed and sprayed until I knew they were dead. I sprayed a little more for good measure. I looked around to make sure that there were no more surprises. Not finding anything else, I scooped the roaches up with paper and flushed them down the toilet. I watched them swirl down the drain. I wanted to know that they were dead.
However, my imagination got the best of me. Since the roaches were so close to my bedroom's sliding door and I know that the door has a gap, I cranked the A/C (something that I was determined not to do until at least, July) and I slept with the TV on. I know, I know, I'm a pansy.
So now I'm at work and I think that I could really go for some sleep. The day is dragging and I haven't seen my teacher. I don't even know if I have any classes today.
In the meantime, I am plotting the best plan of action for keeping roaches out. Today after school is over and after I go to the post office, I will buy the little discs that you put around the house to keep the roached out. I will also buy some spray. I know that the spray will work, but I really don't know if I am up for finding the dead roaches in my apartment. Ignorance is bliss at this point. I'm happy with the "If I don't see them, they don't exist" approach. But I definitely DON'T want to see them. If I have to see them, they should not be alive.
In the meantime, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: