Talk about sensory overload!
I had an idea of what I would be coming into based on my previous visit to Japan, but I am still trying to recover from sensory and information overload.
The first few days, I was extremely jet-lagged and thrown into orientation workshops that were too long, for the most part. I think they would have been more helpful if I had been well-rested and if they had been shorter. I got more out of Tuesday because I was more rested.
Anyway, on Wednesday, we were loaded onto buses according to our prefectures and taken to the capitol's city hall. Here is where we were paired up with our new supervisors.
There were three of us from this group that will be living in Hasuda. We collected our luggage and then made our way to Hasuda. In Hasuda, we went to our city hall to meet the staff from the local board of education (BOE). This is our new office/work-space until we are assigned a school.
After some time at city hall, Mr Aono (our supervisor) took us to our new apartments and introduced us to our new landlords. They own a traditional futon shop (not the wooden beds, but all the fluffy bedding that is tradition for Japanese to sleep on). We had tea with them and were all given new futon.
Our apartments are really great. I have a two-room apartment (huge for Japanese standards) and there is air conditioning in one room (woo hoo!). I feel very blessed because I found out yesterday that my rent will be subsidized. I was originally told the with subsidized rent, my cost would be about 70000 yen a month (a little less then $700), but we found out yesterday that our cost will be 32500 (less than $325)! How exciting is that!?
I knew that we would be paid enough to cover the rent, but now I will be able to save a little more a month...or pay bills off faster.
Friday was probably the most eventful day. First, we had to find our way to city hall. Mind you, we are wearing business attire, it is hot and humid, and we are on bikes. Did I mention that we had a rough map, but everything was written in kanji? I don't read kanji, but I do have a good sense of direction. My coworkers read kanji, but sadly the map didn't do much good. A bike ride that should have been 5 minutes lasted 20. We went the round-about way that had a lot of hills (usually not a problem, but my foot hasn't healed, so the pressure on my foot going uphill was painful). Three times, my co-workers nearly lost me, and the whole thing was a little unnerving.
Needless to say, coming back was easier.
After being at city hall for awhile, we were given maps (still rough maps) and given assignments. We had to find the bike shop and the bank. At the bank, we were able to open accounts with the help of Aono-san. It took forever though. While we were waiting for our accounts to be processed, we went to ask about cell phone plans.
I got my first Japanese cell phone plan yesterday. I have to say that I love Japan! I was able to get the Softbank plan and the phone I got is a Sharp Aquos 912SH. If you don't know what this is, I suggest that you google it. This is a sexy phone. Surprisingly, it is not even close to the most sophisticted phone available here. The great thing is that I can bring it back to the States and use it when I finish here.
Anyway, I have only described the first part of my Friday.
After we got the cell phone and bank taken care of, we were given the assignment of finding all of the junior highs and elementary schools in Hasuda. Mind you, there are 5 junior highs and 7 or 8 elementary schools. We had to do all of this on bikes with, you got it-- a rough map. I also forgot to mention that it has been really windy here because of the typhoon going on in the southern part of Japan. Needless to say, we failed in this assignment. We found about 3/4 of the schools that we were supposed to find, but we got lost so many times, that I don't even remember how to find the schools. I mean, we actually detoured through a few farms and rice fields, and the next thing I know, we are on a busy highway exit. I was so confused.
To make matters more embarrassing, we stopped for lunch at a little Japanese buffet. We already stand out because we are "oki" foreigners (big/tall), but in my predictable clumsiness, I managed to spill my bowl of soup that was on the tray, before I left the counter to pay for my food. I was so embarrassed. Thankfully, the staff was very kind. I think it helped that I was able to apologize in their language.
So I came home absolutely exhausted yesterday and just vegged in front of the fan.
Later, my neighbors asked me if I wanted to explore and find a place to eat. I almost didn't go, but decided to anyway. As a result, I have a new favorite place to eat. It is a curry shop that is owned by a young couple. The first floor of their house has been converted into a small restaurant. The husband is the chef and the wife is the hostess/server. The aroma of spices that greets you as you walk into the restaurant is amazing. The bar is lined up with colorful jars of spices too. It is a cozy place and not too expensive. The food is absolutely delicious too.
Needless to say, I came home and crashed after all of that.
There is so much more to say, but I have said a lot already and will save it for another entry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment