Friday, August 17, 2007

Shakin', Bakin', and Orientation

As you probably know by now, it has been extremely hot in Japan since we have arrived. I am ready for this weather to run its course. This past week has been so hot, that we have been setting new records. Thankfully, we had orientation in an air conditioned building for the past two days. This was a blessing in disguise. This particular orientation was useful and had A/C. (The simple things do make me happy). That's about all there is to say about orientation. I enjoyed it and it was useful.
On Wednesday, my friend Chikako came to visit. (She lived in Spokane for about a year). I met her early at the train station. She walked around Hasuda with me and my co-workers as we took pictures for the newsletter we are now responsible for. Later, we went to Aki Habara in Tokyo. It is the section of the city where you can find cheap electronics and any kind of anime and manga. We went in the late afternoon, but didn't stay very long. We were both in culture shock. I am still trying to figure out exactly what happened that visit. All I know, is that the French maids who were outside of the train station scared me.
We had a late night hanging out with my coworkers. (Things are finally going smoothly between me and the coworker I thought would be most unpleasant to work with). Around 4:00 am, I woke up because my bed was shaking. Yes, we had an earth quake. I realize they happen all of the time here and I have experienced a few, but I don't like them. Up until Thursday, the last one I experienced was a big one in Seattle. Not my idea of a good time.
Anyway, in the past few days, I have managed to survive sweltering heat, an earth quake, and orientation. I have also survived drinking more alcohol in one week than I did all last year (not that much, really). I had a visit from one of my friends and I think I finally made friends with a coworker.
Overall, I'd have to say that this past week was a good week.

No comments: