I had my first conversation class last night. I was excited and nervous. Mostly nervous, because I didn't know exactly where I was supposed to be. I finally recognized the kanji on a building from a piece of paper I had seen in my apartment. I don't know what the kanji said, but I was really excited that I recognized it!
In the conversation group, we will meet three times a month. There are between six and nine students of all ages.
I was told that the first meeting would consist of us talking about the kinds of things the class has done before and then we would go from there. People were very shy and nervous, so they weren't saying much (not good for a conversation class). Thankfully, I have had enough experience with tutorials at Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute, that I could think of tutorial ideas as well as topics of conversation that seemed popular with the girls.
I am happy that first night is over with, because now I know the level of the group and more of its members' personalities. I will definitely be prepared next week.
I have another conversation group tonight. If we are actually starting tonight, it will be for two hours. I will have two ladies for one hour and then two other ladies for the next hour.
There are a lot of things that are still unclear to me. I keep asking questions, yet people don't answer. They only seem to be concerned about someone teaching their class. I am not going to worry too much about it though. Just like any new job, I will just have to learn the ropes. In the meantime, I am getting to meet people and learn more about the community I live in.
In my Wednesday night group, there are two older men who love to go mountain climbing. They told me that they are both in their 70's (I would not have guessed), and they both enjoy tennis and mountain climbing. One said that he is always looking for a new adventure, and learning English is an adventure for him.
So as far as conversation classes go, it sounds like it is an adventure for all of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment