Saturday, August 4, 2007

Feeling Overwhelmed

Yes, I admit that I am feeling overwhelmed. I DO NOT regret coming here though.
My life has changed drastically in so many aspects that I feel like I am trying to collect my senses before finding my footing.
I am still not adjusting well to the time change. I am basically in bed by 9:00 or 9:30 at night and then up before 5:00 in the morning. I really try to force myself to stay awake later, but I think the heat and physical exhaustion play a role in my bed time as well. I have to say though, I am looking forward to some cooler weather. It has been high 80s to mid 90s with about 98% humidity since I have been here. The upside to this, is that I have gone down 1 pant size in 1 week. It's a trade-off, I guess. I am definitely going to try and keep up a healthier lifestyle. Amazingly, since I have been here, I have had no coffee and only one soda. This past week, I have consumed 3 liters of water every day, plus orange juice, grape juice, or tea (not a big fan of plain iced-tea, but it was out of politeness). I would be off to an excellent start if only Japanese bread wasn't so tasty...^_^
Last night, I cooked my first meal in my apartment. This was a great way to figure out what spices I need to buy on my next visit to the supermarket. My predecessor left me some spices, but I get the feeling that she didn't cook much.
My "kitchen" area consists of two burners(gas powered--scary) with a teensy grill beneath it. I think I might be able to fit a small chicken breast or fish in there. I have a rather large sink next to the burners and some tiny cabinets. I also have a decent sized refrigerator.
Last night, I went to buy a few items for my meal (most Japanese people shop on a daily basis due to lack of storage space, they usually have to carry groceries home, and the meals are fresher this way). The lady behind the check-out counter was so cute. Every time she would scan a fruit or vegetable, she would hold it up, smile, and practice the English name for it. I think this was for her to practice as well as for me to understand what I was getting. There are some fruits and veggies that I have never seen before, so she might assume that many of the foods are new to me. Anyway, it was kind of fun to see her get excited over English.
It's difficult when you live close and work closely. The sad thing is that I don't think that she realizes how negative she is. I have tried complimenting her on some ideas. I have tried to engage her in conversation, too. She is either really resistant or negative. Avoiding her is not really a good option either. On the weekends it might work, but I don't want to make things worse. I would enlist the help of the other assistant language teacher (ALT), but I think he is mostly interested in getting into her pants. Lately it seems like I am the third wheel on their date. Yet another reason why I have been laying low this weekend.
At any rate, I don't intend to seclude myself for the rest of my stay. After this weekend, I expect things will become busier for me. I also know that one of my friends from the Osaka area who lived in Spokane a year will come to see me. We might even get to go to Disneyland. I am very excited about seeing Chikako.
Also, I have another friend who is planning to visit around Christmas time if everything works out alright. My aunt may come and see me too. It's great because I get to see my friends and family and I have enough room so that nobody has to stay in a hotel. I actually have a fold-out bed (I was a little slow in discovering this) and I have spare futon in the closet. I am really equipped for guests. So anyone reading this who has actually met me, is more than welcome to come and visit. I really mean that. Just let me know when.
At the moment, the dollar is stronger than the yen, so the most expensive cost would be the airfare. The only thing is, I probably can't accommodate more than two extra people in my apartment, so please keep that in mind. Hope to see some of you here.
So some people may stare at you because you are a foreigner and others will come up to you excitedly to practice their English. Mostly, Americans are embraced here. Once you get past the curious stares, it is fun. We are often treated like celebrities.
There is no chance of blending in here, but the crime is very minimal, and I have always felt very safe.
Again, feel free to visit. If you can't visit, you can also respond to any of the blogs. Any words of encouragement or news from the states are always welcome.

No comments: