To me, these are scarier than lions, tigers, and bears. It is probably because I have to deal with them on a daily basis.
Last week, I was finally starting to feel like I was getting settled. I was even very proud of myself for cleaning and deciphering the washing machine. I rode my bike (as usual) to work on Thursday and had two separate near-misses with bats. Yes folks, they are all over Japan and not completely nocturnal. I am probably enough of a sight to the Japanese people because I am large and pale, but anyone who saw me trying to avoid the bats must have had quite the laugh.
So, I finally made it to work. I was having a nice conversation with my coworker (who lives in the same building as I do), when she tells me that she had her first encounter with a roach in her apartment. She said it was in her garbage. I know that there are roaches around, because I have seen them outside, but in my case, ignorance was bliss. When it comes to roaches and mice, I don't play around. I went to the store and bought a large package or roach traps (for preventative measures, of course). I also scrubbed down all of the garbages, swept and mopped the floors, and tried to get rid of anything that might attract roaches.
Again, there is something about roaches and mice that creeps me out. I really am a pansy. On Thursday night, I slept with the A/C on high (roaches don't like cold, right?) and I am ashamed to say that I slept with the light on.
I have not seen one yet, and I hope and pray that I don't. I have gotten better about my sleeping arrangements, but I still get jumpy from time to time.
Finally, we have the cicadas. I mentioned earlier about my experience with a particular cicada. They tend to be really annoying though. The lifespan of a cicada is very short, so they often fly into the side of my apartment and die on the sidewalk. I think that I am actually looking forward to fall. It would be wonderful if I didn't have to deal with bugs anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great blog you have going here. I'm so interested in your adventures in Japan. I have always wanted to visit. This story is my favorite by far. ;-) I'm terrible with the roaches too, but when i'm on my own I just have to suck it up and get them before they get me! I was laughing at the dodging of the bats! i can only imagine. I have always wanted to visit the far east. My interest is more in China. But i love the difference in culture. Fun to learn about the other side of the world. I"m fairly new to blogging. But feel free to visit my page. I hope it makes you smile the way your page did for me. ;-) Bless.
Post a Comment