I know. It sounds strange doesn't it? In Japan, all garbage is sorted into combustible or non-combustible, glass and pet (plastic) bottles, metal, or cans. Sounds easy enough, but it is actually more confusing and challenging than one might think. For example, the paper carton from a pint of milk would be a combustible right? Actually, no. I was informed that it should be broken down and included with either the non-combustibles or with the pet bottles...I forget which one already.
If you are lucky enough to figure out how to sort the trash, then you get to learn the pick up schedule. For example, combustibles are picked up twice a week, the rest are picked up twice a month. If you don't read kanji and if your predecessor didn't leave you the information, it turns into a fun game.
Honestly, when I left the US, I never thought that dealing with my garbage would be so difficult. The important thing is that it's a new challenge and I still have my sense of humor. It will work out.
In other news, since I applied for this job, I realized that I was in training for a life of "hurry up and wait". I actually don't mind though. I knew that patience was something that I needed work on. I actually prayed that God would help me to work on being patient. Be careful what you pray for! Ironically, He answered with this job.
We have had many deadlines to meet and then are often asked to "just wait please". Today is another day like that. We don't actually begin teaching until September and our supervisor is very busy. He has given us several assignments that do not involve going into City Hall. Today, we were supposed to help out with a speech contest. As of last night, our supervisor still did not know if we were needed. So, we are to be dressed and ready to work at 10:30 this morning and we may or may not go to work. Again, hurry up and wait.
So, today may be a bit of an adventure and I can't wait to see what will happen today. I know that we have already biked our way past every school in town. This is good because we shouldn't have to do it again (all of them in a day).
So my goals for today are to figure out the garbage sorting and to master ironing while sitting on the floor. Sounds like fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment