Recently, I started working at a new school. This means that I am going (literally walking) in a different direction from where I went for the past 8 months. It also means that there are a lot of people in this town who probably haven't seen me before (at least up close). Every morning and every afternoon, there are people who stop in their tracks and stare. Some, out of pure curiosity. Others, out of contempt (thankfully, I haven't encountered many in this category). Still others, I think, out of fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of someone different, fear of progression...it could be many things.
For the most part, I try to ignore the stares I get from people. (I have been guilty of staring at foreigners, too. Japan is very homogeneous). Sometimes, it is a little unsettling. For example, this morning as I was on my way to work, an old woman watched me. The look on her face was not "Oh, a foreigner.", but a look of "What is she doing here and what is she up to?". It made me very uneasy.
I've developed a kind of defense mechanism though. After I get about two blocks from my apartment, I turn on my i-pod. I also stare blankly ahead while I walk. I am very much aware of what's going on, though. People stare at me when they think I can't see them. The instant I make eye contact, they freak out. I have a lot of Japanese people tell me that foreigners making eye contact with them scares them, so I say "stop staring and we won't make eye contact!". It's instinct to meet someone's eyes if they are looking at you.
These walks often cause me to think about many things. The thing I have thought about most in the past two weeks though, is racism.
For example, there are times when I am uncomfortable in my skin. I would like to be able to blend in. At the same time, I have really learned to embrace what makes me different. It seems more natural for me to embrace my heritage in a country where almost everyone has the same hair color, eye color, language, etc...I am unique.
I come from a country that celebrates its diversity. Supposedly. I think that our situation is very complex. Racism still exists in our country. There are people in the US who look very different, but speak the same language. Here, there is a language and a cultural barrier. Sometimes you get that in the US, other times, it is only cultural.
I am often frustrated trying to explain things about American culture (not just "white" culture) and gross generalizations that many non-Americans have of us. Yet, I am also frustrated at a lack of unity that our citizens do not possess that other countries' citizens do.
My head is still spinning.
It is nearly time for me to go home now, so I will post more later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment