On Fridays, I am usually exhausted from a busy week.
This past week was no exception. Mix in some rain and cold and all I can think about is being home in my p.j.s with a movie or a book (I'm such a party animal!). However, the Japanese school staff has a tradition. At the beginning of their school year and at the end of their school year, they have a party. This is usually in the form of a nomihodai and/or tabehodai (all you can drink and/or all you can eat [usually a set course].) Our party last night was both at a Chinese restaurant.
An interesting thing about these parties, is that there is usually a structure to the party, as well as a time limit. Whether or not you want to drink, you are expected to go (there are alternatives to alcohol for those who don't wish to drink).
I went to our school's party last night, because I am the new ALT (assistant language teacher for those of you who don't know). It was a blast! I already new that one of my teachers is very comedic, but when he drinks, he is hilarious! Also, some of the most reserved teachers are the most out-going people when they have alcohol.
There are several things that I enjoy about these parties. One is that most of the teachers go to the party. This makes it interesting to see them outside of school. I can see what they are really like. I also like that the teachers feel more comfortable trying to talk to me. Either they are inebriated or realize that most of those around us are, so they don't feel like they are being foolish. Through these conversations, I learn more about the teachers and often get invited to participate in other classes. Finally, I love that these parties have a time-limit. This makes it easy to plan other things, or it allows for smaller parties to assemble and go to a karaoke place. It also makes it easy to bow out gracefully without giving an explanation.
Last night, I saw my principal drunk (he's a funny drunk), saw one of the most manly Japanese men I have met wearing a pink, sparkling bow-tie (he was the MC), talked with the art teacher, talked with the former girls' basketball coach, and then watched another teacher fall flat on his face.
It may sound kind of strange, but I felt better knowing that, as a stranger who is always making a mistake, saying something strange, or just too clumsy for my own good, I finally felt like I fit in last night. All of that in 2 hours.
I was still able to come home, get into my p.j.s and watch a movie.
I love Japan!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment