I just came back from our kyushoku (school lunch). I've arrived at some combination of the following conclusions: This school cook is good, The food is actually good, or I'm getting used to the food. I'm leaning more towards the first and third.
It's true, I have been a picky eater in the past. I am not as picky as a lot of people who come to Japan. I try to have the mind set of trying everything at least once. Also, I gambarre (do my best) to set a good example for the students and staff (Everyone here eats the same meal). The difference is that I was not raised in this culture, so I am not accustomed to a lot of it.
And while there are many days where I envy other ALTs who are not subjected to kyushoku, there are days where I am happy that I eat school lunches. For the most part, today was not one of them. Although the taste was good and nothing seemed unusual, I don't know if I will ever eat bean sprouts again after I leave Japan. They are included as a main ingredient in most of our veggie salads.
The high point of school lunch today (food-wise), was the delicious peach half. I have really missed peaches. I am sure that they will be in season soon, but they will probably be about 5 dollars for one peach! I won't buy canned peaches either unless I can find an American brand, because most of the canned food comes from China and there have been incidents of food poisoning lately.
The main reason though, that I eat the school lunches (other than that it's required), is for the bonding experience. I can't say much, but I understand a lot. For the most part, it gives me a chance to see some of the teachers out of the classroom. I can see more of their personalities this way. Also, the vice-principal (who transfered from my previous school), will include me in conversation if possible. It is more comfortable, because he knows me from before. He likes to tell stories about me NOT eating fish heads (don't ask). They all think it's funny that the American ALTs won't eat the fish heads, but the other ALTs I've talked to (Australian and British) won't eat the fish heads either. Hmmm....
Anyway, that's my (less than) exciting lunch today. Hurray for peaches!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment