Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Day of Many Posts

I happen to have a lot of extra time today and I have recently been very contemplative.
For example, I am really wondering what I was thinking when I agreed to re-contract. I mean, I really do love my job. The "living" in Japan part has me questioning this decision though. I say "living" because there are times where I feel like I am simply existing, or too busy to enjoy what is going on around me.
Part of this, I'm sure, fits into the ups and downs of adjusting to a new culture. I'm definitely somewhere around the downside of this roller coaster of a journey. I have discovered one thing though, that contributes to the down feelings: EARTHQUAKES. I am confident that I would make a bad Californian and I definitely wouldn't make a very good Japanese.
I come from a place that rarely experiences earthquakes. If we get them, they are usually small. Prior to coming to Japan, the most recent quake I experienced was in Seattle a few years ago. I think that they settled on 6.8, but I can't remember. I do remember that it was big. It was also scary. I was working as a nanny at the time and responsible for two small children. I remained fairly calm until it was over. It was a scary experience that I would like to avoid if possible.
I decided to do some research on earthquakes to help calm my fears. I don't think that was a good idea, because I discovered that 70 percent of the world's earthquakes occur in Japan. (Maybe California is safer)
I don't like not knowing when they will happen, or if they will be weak or strong. I worry that the crack in the ceiling above my bed will continue to grow. What if an earthquake causes the roof to collapse on me? These are things that have been on my mind.
(More to come later)

No comments: