Thursday, May 15, 2008

Slow Progress

I finally talked to my supervisor and asked him to talk to the landlords about the downstairs neighbors. I've noticed a change in the noise level (they are still pretty noisy). Instead of being noisy until sometime past 4 a.m., they are stopping around 2 (baby steps). Last night, I only heard the hammer for about 2 minutes and it was before midnight. So I am hopeful that things will improve some...woot!
This weekend, I have been invited to an English club's retreat. I am really regretting having agreed to this. I was just informed that I must give a 5 minute speech. I know that it's in English (which should make me feel better), but I really DON'T like speeches. Oh well, I guess I'll do my best though. I'm just a little worried because I have a tendency to speak quickly when I am nervous. Since I am giving the speech to non-native English speakers, I have to focus on speaking slower than usual. In about 36 hours, it will all be over. In the meantime, I think I can, I think I can...
I think that our spring is finally here. I thought that it was here before, but we had a week of cold and rain. Yesterday was actually a beautiful day! I went to bed on Wednesday night with my heater on (the timer was only set for it to be on for two hours). When I woke up, it was so warm, I had to open my windows. Today is another gorgeous day.
On to some great news...
My birthday was in March, but I got two packages yesterday from my family for my birthday. The best part was, that some of my friends pitched in too. I was so excited and overwhelmed with happiness. ^_^ I was also thankful that everyone was so thoughtful! (My family has a tendency to NOT be thoughtful when it comes to other family members, but I'm not going to get into that).
Anyway, I had casually mentioned some movies that I wanted to see, and I got two of them for my birthday. I also got some books (I <3 books!). My sister sent me a hoodie (yeah, Kimmee!) and a t-shirt. She also sent socks (I can't get my size in Japan, so I was VERY happy ^_^).
My parents also included a box of Girls Scouts Thin Mint Cookies (yum) AND some Rice Crispy Treats!!! I have to be careful or I will go into sugar shock!
My brother even included something for me (if you knew how my brother is about "remembering" birthdays, you would understand my shock). One friend and her daughter included a card, a necklace and a guide to Mario Galaxy for my Wii (this gift is extremely thoughtful, because my game is in Japanese. Sometimes, I need some extra help, so I thought that this was amazing!). Then, another friend sent some jewelry and a card.
All of this was so unexpected, it was really nice and appreciated. It felt like Christmas.
Actually, I can't even begin to describe how I felt. I had been having a hard time last weekend and at the beginning of the week, but things have been getting better. I have been trying to focus on positive things and then I get a package. To have notes and gifts from friends and family made me feel like I was missed and appreciated.
It also reminded me that I am very blessed.

No comments: