Monday, May 26, 2008

FRUSTRATION

Well, I was very happy that my neighbor came to talk to me on Saturday night, but I should have known that he was up to something.
First of all, I want to point out that I think it was strange that he waited until after 9:00pm on Saturday to come to my door. I'm pretty sure that is considered rude in most cultures (except in an emergency), until you've actually met the person.
At any rate, the neighbor came by to apologize to me. I know that my Japanese isn't great, but I understood enough that HE was apologizing for the noises that HE was making. UNFORTUNATELY, he turns around and says to our landlords, that he is making noises, because I am the noisy person...WHAT!?!?!? How much noise can I be making while I am sleeping (or hoping to) in my bed at 2 am. He is the one who is vacuuming, hammering, playing DDR, watching comedies at high volume. How does he figure!?
I had been warned that this neighbor is quite different, so I was afraid to say anything. I didn't want problems to get worse. On the other hand, I am tired of being tired all of the time. The past few days have been wonderful. My neighbor has been quiet, so I've been getting full nights of sleep. It's amazing how great it is!
I like our landlords and the last thing that I want to do is stir up trouble. I really don't appreciate being treated like this and it is so frustrating because of the language barrier. Now that my neighbor knows how limited my Japanese speech is, I really think that he will take advantage of this.
The thing that concerns me though, is that I am still here for another year.
It seems that it is OK to be here as long as I'm a visitor, but a lot of people don't like outsiders living among a homogeneous environment. It often feels that, even if the problems are instigated by one of their own, it's automatically the foreigner who is a trouble maker.

1 comment:

Brian Barker said...

Can I put in a word for Esperanto?

I've travelled internationally using the language and have therefore avoided the language barrier. There is a system called "pasporta servo" which uses Esperanto as an intermediary language in order to avoid the language problem.

You can see detail on http://www.Esperanto.net