I was feeling a little down today. Every time I think back to the little woman trying to stomp me away, I become sad. Not so much because she didn't like me. I am saddened and frustrated because I know that this doesn't happen only in Japan, it happens everyday in America, too. It happens in Africa, it happens everywhere. We don't live in the Dark Ages anymore. Why are we still judging people by skin color, nationality, and/or appearances!? When will Dr. King's dream be realized? When will we be judged by our character?
Some ladies from one of my conversation classes picked me up today and took me to the new "it" cafe in Hasuda. When we arrived, I thought that we were going to somebody's house first. The cafe was actually a part of someone's house. The house was larger than it looked from outside. The cafe was very cozy and had a relaxing atmosphere. Small hibachi were smoldering to provide extra warmth for the guests.
When we arrived, there were only three other guests enjoying tea. By the time we ordered, the place was crowded. It remained steady for the two hours we were there. The owner was excited to have a foreigner in his cafe and brought me many foods to try (no charge!). He also practiced his English every chance he could. At one point, he was standing in front of our table (blocking me from everyone else's view) and we were all speaking English. The other customers started to ask why we were speaking in English. When the owner moved, they realized that we were speaking English because of me. People started giggling and staring. Some other people even tried to speak some English. Most of the customers just smiled and waved at me. I actually felt comfortable and welcomed today. That is the mystery of this place. Some people will do anything to try and impress me based on the simple fact that I am a foreigner. Others will show contempt using the same reasoning. I would really like to find a middle ground, but I know that it will never happen. In the meantime, I should just keep in mind the old saying "You can please all of the people some of the time. You can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".
I guess that I should treasure the moments that are good, try to learn as much as I can from my experiences here, and just not dwell on the open hostility.
Yup, today was a good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment