Recently, I have had doubts about staying another year in Japan. I am staying, but I think that part of my doubts come from the unknown. We will be committing to another year before we change schools. Within two years, we will have been to four schools (maybe five).
I have finally become comfortable in figuring out my current situation. I am nervous about changing schools. What if I get the school that's way out in the country? What if I get the jerk for a teacher who wears the bad toupee? What if I get to a school where the English teachers don't speak English? I'm doubting myself it is causing me to doubt why I'm here.
On the other hand, I know that I am doing something good. I know that I work hard. I also know that I am hear to communicate with the students IN ENGLISH. Ironically, I feel more comfortable trying to talk with the kids in Japanese, rather than the teachers and staff.
I'm very confused.
It's January. It's cold. I really miss my sister, my friend Wayne, and my other good friends.
I know that a lot of this is because I need more interaction than "It's cold, isn't it?" or "How are you today?".
On the other hand, I have children who run up and talk to me simply because I'm different. It's safe to do that here...it wouldn't really happen back home. Katlin and I were at the store the other night eating crepes, when a little boy (maybe 2) ran over to see what I was eating. He just kept looking at my face and then looking at my crepe holder (the crepe was gone). He did that several times before he figured out that there was nothing left. I thought that he was very cute and very brave. This is just one incident, but there are many where kids talk to me, or little toddlers wave and say hello. Any sort of kind, human interaction is what I crave and appreciate. I know that I am just having moments of loneliness, but I know that it will pass.
I am a very independent person, but I still like to be around other people. At this point, it's not so much a problem with finding people to be around (I live near Tokyo!), it's more of a matter of finding someone who can understand what I'm saying and I can understand what they are saying. (I should also add that it helps if they aren't crazy...as I actually encountered this problem shortly after I arrived. That's another story for another blog).
At any rate, I've got the winter blues and I am really looking forward to spring. I always have something to look forward to and to keep me going. January is almost over and February is a short month. That means spring will be here soon, right?
I can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment