Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Germs Came + Small Face = Lost in Translation

Yeah, I know it's a strange title, but it pretty much sums up a strange day.
As part of my new duties as an ALT, I get to help grade the homework (fun, but tedious). The current group of work that I am grading includes excerpts from Anne Frank's diary. Most of the students wrote about what happened when the Germans came, but one student wrote about the Germs. She didn't just write it once, but she wrote an entire page about the Germs. I normally wouldn't have found this so humorous, but it caught me off guard and it has been a very stressful week already. Normally, I would probably share something like that with someone, but there was nobody in the office I could share it with who would understand it.
I haven't quite figured out the rhyme or reason to it, but several times a day, there is music played over the loud speaker. The past two days consisted of mostly classical music, but today was rather odd. It started out as the theme to Harry Potter and then gradually eased into some J-pop. It finally ended with some metal song. The teachers all acted as if nothing had happened. I don't understand.
Finally, after spending the day giving an introduction to 5 classes and playing bingo with keywords from my introduction, one very shy girl approached me. At first, she was too shy to talk. Her friends kept encouraging her to talk. When she finally spoke, I was taken aback. She said "You have a very small face." I didn't know how to respond, so I finally said "Really?"
She got a little flustered and tried to explain it to me, but because of the language barrier, we gave up. She ended with, "Small faces are very good. You are lucky!"
So, if I ever figure it out, I will definitely update it here.
This week has basically boiled down to so much getting lost in translation. I have so much respect for people who take on a new language and a new culture without giving up. To that, I say "Let's do our best!"

No comments: