Saturday, September 8, 2007

I'm a Survivor

I have survived the first week of school. Woo Hoo!
This week was challenging, but fun. I already talked about some of the things that happened the first few days of school, but things really got crazy on Thursday.
On Thursday afternoon, I was sitting at my desk between classes when an announcement came on over the school's PA system. It was the vice principal and I knew that this was not usual.
There was a lot of Japanese spoken at a rapid pace and I basically caught "typhoon", "dangerous", "be careful" and then a loud cheer from the students. At this point, a teacher turned to me and said that a typhoon was coming. Before I could ask any questions, he was gone. I thought that maybe school was canceled the next day as a result of the typhoon approaching.
No. Nothing ever gets canceled in Japan. I soon found out that, if there is a typhoon, the students' classes are delayed a bit, but the teachers still come to school at their regular times. Did I mention that I am the only teacher that arrives by bike?
Well, those who know me best, know that I tend to be a clumsy person...there's no denying it. So I was actually worried that I might not make it to school in a typhoon.
Amazingly, I did. I'm really not sure how either. The people who were driving on the roads were not courteous at all to those on foot or bike. Strange, since we were the ones who were getting wet. The wind was blowing hard, the rain was pouring and my hands kept slipping off the handle bars. Added to the fact that I was wearing glasses covered in water and that were fogging up because it was very warm outside. I was also wearing a rain jacket (definitely NOT made for typhoon weather) that the hood would not stay up on because it was too windy. Finally, let us not forget that I was actually being propelled by the wind most of the way to school.
I was very happy that I was not going against the wind, but it was very dangerous being propelled at the speed I was.
I had a few near-misses with mini vans and I managed to take the problem corner at a decent speed so as not to hit the pole. I did have the foresight to wear regular clothes on the way to school and to take a change of clothes with me. Let me tell you, when I got to school, I was sopping wet. I had puddles forming around me.
I then went to find the locker room, and for some reason I couldn't find it. This means that I had to change in the women's bathroom. Normally this wouldn't be too bad, but all this consists of are a bunch of tiny stalls with the squatter toilets inside (yes, the toilets are basically inserted in the floor of the bathroom, so you literally have to squat to use it!). So, here I am, trying to change my clothes that I have to peel off of me, because they are are plastered to me, and I am trying to dance around the toilet while I am changing my clothes and doing all I can not to fall in.
Somehow I managed to complete this unbelievable challenge and make it to my desk on time.
I did twist my previously broken foot a little, so it's been hurting.
I am so happy it's the weekend!

No comments: