It's been awhile since I have written anything. Life has been very busy.
The speech contest is over. It seems strange to think that I, the person who has rarely succeeded in giving a speech, would be chosen to help so many students. There were seven from my school and several from other schools that I had a hand with helping. It was fun because, of those who placed, we spent time with all but one before school started. It was very rewarding.
Helping for the speech contest was valuable in many ways, but I am most grateful for the chance to get to know some of the students better.
Another benefit of helping with the speech contest, was that I earned extra time off. Yesterday was a holiday here, so I took Friday off and went to visit Angel. I rode the bullet train (Shinkansen) for the first time. It was a lot of fun. Just imagine being able to go from Seattle to Boise by train in less than 2 hours. That is what is was like.
I had fun with Angel. We went to the Hard Rock Cafe, we went shopping, I went to my first Japanese movie theater (to see Fantastic 4), we went to the sports festival at one of Angel's elementary schools, and we went to Jusco.
We also got to pass the Christmas Tree Love Hotel. It was a sight to see. The worst part was when we were going to the mall, people were passing out fliers. Among them, there was a coupon for the love hotel with a piece of candy attached to the coupon. It was a candy penis. I kid you not.
Anyway, Angel and I did a lot and spent a lot of money. It was fun.
I was really tired when I came home though. I am fighting a cold, but I think that I am losing. The last time I was sick was winter quarter at school. I am drinking a lot of liquids and trying to get some rest. (HA!)
I know that I am getting sick, because I'm a little more sensitive than usual. Today before class, I put on some scented lotion. After class, I was reprimanded by the teacher because "It is not Japanese custom to wear perfumes." I explained that I was not wearing perfume, but that I had put on lotion after handling the chalk. She then explained that the students didn't like the smell. (Really? They kept asking me for some). Actually, I think that they are afraid that I might influence the students to wear perfume. I also think that one of the older teachers is the one who found my lotion offensive. Whatever. I will refrain from wearing lotion (that you can buy all over Japan! What was that about it NOT being a custom?) and go about with dry hands. I will, however, draw the line at deodorant. I know that it is generally not a custom to wear deodorant in Japan except sometimes in the summer. I WILL NOT YIELD if they ask me to quit wearing that too. At first, I took this chastisement personally, but then I decided that if that is all they have to complain about, then I shouldn't worry. I was just glad that I chose to wear only one pair of earrings to school today. That could have easily been an issue. The students are not allowed to wear earrings, so most of the teachers do not wear them. I have triple piercings and a cartilage piercing. It's a good thing that the tongue ring is gone.
Oh well. Right now I am focusing on planning my vacation in Hawaii. I am also weighing the pros and cons of re-contracting for one more year.
I really like the idea of going to Hawaii.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment