As promised before, here's a little run-down on our school lunches.
I believe that I mentioned before how everyone in the school (from the students to the principal) eats the same meal. As an ALT, I am also a part of this ( sometimes challenging) ritual.
Last week, on two occasions, we were served a small, whole fish. There was a slight difference in the two fish, but the it may as well have been the same meal.
The first time we were served the fish, I looked around and realized that we were supposed to eat the ENTIRE fish (yes, that means the head, too!). I found this difficult, as my fish's eyes were still staring at me. I noticed that one other teacher cut the head off and refused to eat it. I took advantage of my "gaijin-ness" and followed his example. As I continued to eat the fish, I realized that it was stuffed with fish eggs...EWWW!
Later that week, we were served another small fish. This fish didn't have the eggs inside and it was bitter. It also was staring at me. On this particular day, I was eating with a class of 5th grade students. They were making jokes about the heads and creating drama over having to eat the heads. I couldn't blame them. The girl next to me was nearly in tears and she refused to eat her fish's head. I showed my solidarity by not eating the fish's head, too. The students seemed to think that this was really funny, so they harassed me about it.
I managed to make it through this past week without any fish staring at me during lunch. I also never thought that I would see the day where I would give anything to trade my lunch for a peanut butter sandwich.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment