Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's Been Awhile.

Yes, it's been awhile since I have posted anything. It has been absolutely crazy the past couple of months.
I put in 27 ours of overtime in the first month of work. Our school has been involved in speech contests and we've had some festivals. On Saturday, we will have our music festival. I am hoping that will be the last Saturday that I will be required to work! The good news, is that Monday is a holiday and we will get Tuesday off to make up for having to work on Saturday ^_^
Tomorrow, we will be welcoming some Australian students (about 11 and 12 years old, I think) to our town. They will be here for a couple of days and attending classes at two of our elementary schools. The ALTs will go to school with them for two days. It should be interesting. I'm looking forward to it.
Today, I had an elementary visit. For the most part, it went well. The 5th grade classes are not exactly ideal, but I've decided to look at it as a challenge to be met. I am determined to find a way to get their attention. Today, I discovered that they will do a lot for some cool stickers. This encourages and intrigues me.
I am also (finally) becoming a little more confident in speaking the language. I feel relaxed around the elementary students because they are just happy that I am trying to speak to them in Japanese. Today, I had a conversation (in Japanese!) about some differences in Japanese elementary schools and American elementary schools. The girls were astonished that most American schools do not have rabbits and chickens outside in cages for the students to take care of and play with. You would have thought that I just told them that Santa Clause doesn't exist.
Today is definitely one of the up days on the roller coaster of emotions felt while living abroad.
I am happy and will enjoy it.

No comments: