Yesterday, I experienced my first junior high school graduation. The thing that made it more interesting, is the fact that it took place in Japan.
The jhs graduation is a very big deal in Japan. It is also very formal. The ALTs were told not to take their cameras inside because it would be considered rude. At my particular school, there was a professional photographer and then one of the teachers who were allowed to take pictures.
The graduation was nice, but it was extremely long. There were a lot of speeches and a lot of the stand up, bow,then sit exercises.
The best part of graduation was what followed the ceremony. It's tradition for the remaining students and all of the teachers to line up outside of the school. The graduating students then come through to say farewell and to accept any gifts from their club mates and class mates. The graduating students then walk through the gates of the school on to their new lives. I liked that idea.
A lot of the students said goodbye to me as they left, but a few of the students' farewells were especially memorable. For example, one of the "jocks" came up to me and shook my hand. He wouldn't let go. He was crying and repeatedly thanked me for coming to Minami. It was very touching. I finally told him that I will stay in Hasuda, so he can probably see me at LaPark. I think that calmed him down. I was very touched.
Another farewell included being mobbed by 12 girls. They all wanted pictures.
Three girls that I would "clean" with at school (we mostly talked and emptied the paper trash) went to a puri-kura (instant photo) booth and took pictures. They wrote me a letter and included one of the pictures. The letter was half Japanese and half English. In the English part of my letter, they spelled my name "Horry". I thought it was adorable, but it didn't make me feel very successful as an English teacher.
The two students that I helped in preparation for the speech contests were both accepted to prestigious schools. They both came to thank me. I have a feeling that they will accomplish amazing things.
Then, there's Kojiro and his group of soccer players. From my first day at Minami, anytime Kojiro saw me, he would give me the Hawaiian hand greeting. All of the boys who are almost always with him, would cheerfully shout "Hello!". Sometimes, they would even say "I love you, Hollie!". (They watch too many movies). So they came over for one more greeting.
I would imagine that any of the parents observing yesterday would wonder what we were up to, but I think that the parents are just happy that we are communicating and that a teacher has made a connection with their child (just a guess).
I even had a few parents talk to me. My class clown and his mother came to talk to me, too.
I was very happy for the opportunity to say goodbye to the students. That would have been adequate, but then, the PTA had a special lunch for the teachers.
At the lunch, they gave all of the teachers a basket of flowers to show their appreciation. I got a big basket of begonias (say that five times fast). They are a bold, pink color.
So, we were seated for graduation at 8:40 and when we left our lunch, is was 3:30. Most of my work day was spent in the gym. It was a long, but happy day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment