It always feels like so much time passes between each posting. It's only been a few days since I lasted posted, but it seems like ages ago.
As usual, I ask myself where should I begin?
Let's see, I managed to make it through an entire week without teaching any junior high classes. Two of those days, I was at the elementary school, so I kept busy there.
I was scheduled for a few classes at the junior high, but they were all canceled because the teachers were returning their mid-term tests and they were going to review (what better time for me to be there!).
Friday, I spent researching Halloween ESL activities that might be appropriate for my special education class. I also spent a couple of hours reading and a couple of hours writing letters. The great thing that came out of last week, was that I am now FINALLY eating meals with the students. Yatta! (Some other day I will expand on Japanese school lunches).
On Saturday, I went to Nasu. It's a popular place for Japanese hot springs or onsen. I went with the Urawa English Speaking Society. I mentioned earlier that I visited one of their classes when I first arrived in Japan. They invited me to Nasu for their Fall Retreat. I am so happy that I went.
Twenty-six members from the Urawa ESS stayed at a private lodge in Nasu. One of the members works for the company that owns the lodge, so we were able to stay there for practically nothing. We stayed in a traditional Japanese room. There were paper sliding doors, tatami mats on the floor, and we slept on the floor on futons. (I shared a room with three other ladies).
The onsen were located on the first floor. There was one for the men and one for the women. Japanese custom is for the women to bathe together (naked) and the men to bathe together (naked). Since I am an American and the ESS members are very much acquainted with our ideas of modesty, the ladies arranged ahead of time for me to be alone in the onsen. I didn't want to be an inconvenience to them, but I didn't want to be naked in front of a bunch of people I didn't really know either. So I graciously accepted their offer. I can't tell you how wonderful the onsen experience was! The lodge was in the mountains and the onsen over-looked a hill. If you looked out the window, you could see the golds and reds of the fall leaves. You could also feel the cool mountain air before stepping into the onsen.
The experience is so relaxing and refreshing. I understand why the Japanese want to share that experience with other people. I just don't understand why it would matter if we wore clothes or if we had tattoos. Oddly enough, they didn't ask me if I had a tattoo. I expected this question too.
Anyway, my experience in Nasu was indescribable. We ate a lot of food. I was treated to a steak dinner (along with twenty other Japanese foods...no exaggeration). We had games, drinking, and karaoke. I was the only person not to drink, but was asked to sing over and over. It was fun.
On Sunday, we woke up early and went for a walk outside. The fresh air was inviting. On our walk, we encountered an old man walking his dog. The dog was very friendly and wanted to play with us. While we were talking, I noticed an odd plant-like thing. It turns out, that it was a huge mushroom. I guess it's the kind used in making Chinese medicine. I got pictures with it, so I will post them soon. After a HUGE breakfast (bigger than dinner the night before), we checked out of our rooms and headed for the British Hills.
British Hills was about an hour drive in the country-side. The drive itself was absolutely gorgeous. British Hills consists of an English manor surround by dormitories and a hotel that look like elegant British buildings. There is a pub, a tea shop, and a gift shop. Visitors can also tour the manor. We took the tour (in English) and enjoyed a meal of fish and chips. It was fun for me. I got to see something different, but I also got to spend a few hours surrounded by mostly native English speakers again. It was kind of a strange feeling, but I enjoyed my time there.
After our visit to British Hills, we returned home. On the way back, I saw the Japanese equivalent to a motorcycle gang. Most of them looked harmless enough, but a few of them looked dangerous. Their bikes, on the other hand, were NOT intimidating at all. I don't think that I can begin to explain them now, but I will try. The closest comparison I can give you though, is the bikes that kids used to ride with the banana seats and the tall pole that had an orange flag flying from it. The back of the passenger seat rose high and the bikers would have banners flying from them. Most of the banners looked cute or funny, rather than scary and threatening. Yeah, I don't get it.
Overall, my weekend was full of new experiences that I would probably not have been able to experience if it weren't for the JET Program. I am extremely thankful for these opportunities.
I also realized that I can't expect for things to happen, I have to try to make things happen, too. I could have easily said no to visiting the ESS class (they were strangers and I had just arrived in Japan that week). Rather than sitting at home acting scared, I took a step outside of my comfort zone and tried something new. So far, it has led to me meeting many new people and be able to experience new things. I have traveled more, and these kind people refuse to let me pay for anything! I can't believe it. I had an incredible weekend.
Yesterday and today, I had several classes at school. I actually got to spend time talking with the students about the Civil Rights Movement and about Apartheid. A lot of the students aren't able to communicate what they are thinking, but some of them are. It is amazing what kind of observations these students make. It gives me hope for the future. Interestingly enough, the Japanese pronunciation of Apartheid sounds like "apart hate". One of the students thought that it was "hate" for something that was not a "part" of the white group. I was impressed. The logic is excellent. This also opened up dialog about American culture then and now. The students remembered the photo album I showed them with my self-introduction and they asked me about having friends and family from backgrounds different from mine. I thought that it was a great class. We are trying to get the students to think outside of their classroom and to think about bigger issues. I felt that I actually helped some students take steps in that direction today.
So I may sit at my desk sometimes with nothing to do, but when I get to travel to new and exciting places, or open up a window to another world to my students, or even tell stories to the precious special ed students who make it a point to greet me every morning in English; I have to say that these are the moments that I love my job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment