Grrrr. The third grade English teacher at my school is at it again. I really do think that she wants to see me fail. I don't think that she is pure evil. I just think that she is intimidated by native English speakers and that she is extremely insecure about her job. I don't think that she realizes how bad she is making herself look.
So, I have been trying to corner "Third Sensei" in order to find out the plan for Saturday. At first, she told me that I really didn't have to come to school on Saturday. She also told me that it was a half day on Saturday. I tried to ask her more questions, but in her typical fashion, she ran away from me.
I should have known on Friday when she dismissed me from her class after fifteen minutes, that things were going to be bad for me. (The class was moving on to an elective subject and I wasn't needed there anymore).
So yesterday, I went to school and enjoyed all of the singing and the art work. At about 12:30, most of the students and teachers had left, but it was obvious that school work for me wasn't quite over (although there was nothing for me to do). At 1:50, there was no indication of a lunch break much less anything for me to do. I decided to ask if it was ok to go home (half day, remember?). Big mistake!
The secretary went to hunt down the vice principal and the Third Sensei. No, it was supposed to be a normal day (until 4). I'm not sure why there was no lunch break, or why I hadn't been told to bring a lunch, or WHY my teacher couldn't have told me that it was a normal day!
Anyway, I finally found out that the students had left some day trips with most of the teachers. They decided it was ok for me to go home, since they would probably close school early.
I was so frustrated! Of course, the teacher was smug about everything. She also said loudly, "I'll see you Tuesday!" I made sure to say in front of the VP and secretary that I had an elementary school visit on Tuesday, followed by an ALT meeting, and that our mid-year conference is on Wednesday and Thursday. I had explained all of that to her on several occasions. I actually wrote out my schedule for the week and left it on my desk in plain site. I know that the First and Second year teachers saw them, because we talked about the reasons why I couldn't do a Halloween class on Wednesday.
I was extremely annoyed. I am still peeved, but should be better by the time I see her again.
I did try to soften her up a bit and try a different approach, but it didn't seem to work.
Honestly, aside from her attempts to sabotage any chance to do well or even excel, I love my job.
I haven't had too much of an opportunity to bond with the third years (9th graders) because their teacher doesn't use me very often, but I do find ways to interact with them outside of the classroom.
The first years are definitely not shy outside of the classroom, but they have a tendency to be a little rowdy inside the classroom (what 7th graders aren't though?)
My second year (8th graders) are really coming out of their shells though. Even the shy kids approach me in the hallways now and try to start a conversation with me! They are trying to help me learn Japanese, too. I think a lot of their attitude comes from their teacher. He encourages them to think outside of the box. He also tries to make learning as fun for them as possible. I also like the fact that Second Sensei has been including me in a lot more lately, so his students talk to me more.
Anyway, I feel like I just vomited so many thoughts and frustrations on this page. It probably doesn't make much sense.
The important thing though, is that I really love my job, minus the Third Sensei. I finally feel like I am doing something worthwhile and I REFUSE to let the Third Sensei be a killjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment