Friday, November 9, 2007

Determined (Part Two)

So I guess a little continuation of the previous blog...I missed out on the awards ceremony and was really bummed about that.
Yesterday (Friday) was pretty good though. I had a pretty full day with classes and the students seemed more outgoing than usual. I had lunch with Mr. Abe's class. They were very genki.
Mr. Abe and I also had a conversation about the calendar, my schedule, and about American classrooms and school terms. It was kind of cool to get a normal conversation with a teacher for awhile.
Last night, I met with some members of my conversation group. We went to Saori's house for dinner (she cut my hair last week and came over to my place for fajitas). It was a lot of fun. We got to make takoyaki. The other ladies made so much food. Afterwards, they sent food home with me. They thought that I was being polite and that I wasn't really full, but seriously, I was stuffed!
I think that I now have a couple of "Mama-sans".
Whenever I have problems with my third year teacher, or encounter people like the old, crotchety woman on my way to school who crosses the street to avoid me, I think of all my students and all of the friends I am making here. I try to focus on their kindness, as well as their excitement to have an American living in their town. These are the people who will leave lasting impressions on me. These are the people that will teach me about their culture and help me to adjust to life in Japan. These are the people from whom I will make a few life-long friends. They represent the Japan I came to learn about. This is why I will do my best!

No comments: